Monday, June 14, 2010

My Readers Comments on "South Phillyisms:" It's all about love

I heard from a lot of my South Philly readers after posting "South Phillyisms."One of the most common comments dealt with the way mothers called their children "Mommy." And Grandmas called their grandchildren "Grandmom."

Example: A child has a fever. Her mother says, "You don't feel good, mommy." Or a grandmother says to her grandson, "C'mere grandmom, give me a kiss." It's a special, dear, unique way of bonding. In one word it communicates our heritage and demonstrates how closely we identify with our loved ones.  It says "I am you. You are everything to me."

Can you remember your mom calling you "Mommy" and do you remember how loved you felt when she did? Post your comment here on southphillyscribe.blogger. I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment